Musical Survey

Ooh la la! A torch (or baton as he calls it) has been passed my way. In his blog (which I read on a daily basis and you should too), Derek posts a "Musical Survey" that seems to be making its way around the blogosphere. I shall do my best to answer completely.

First off, I love my iPods. Yes, that's a plural. I was one of the first kiddies to get the first generation clunky 20giger and last winter I upgraded to a little blue mini. I still use both. I have some 17.47gig of mp3 files, a good majority of which are in fact legal, and within those 4250 songs I pride myself on having a moderately decent mix of old and new, western and non-western, love and grief, sunshine and rain.

Second, I'm a lover of the oldies. I'd much prefer Dave Clark Five, Chicago, or Jefferson Airplane over 50 cent, Weezer, or whatever teeny-bopper chick is hot at the moment. If I'm listening to a radio, at least 4 out of 5 times I'm listening to an oldies station. What can I say? I'm a daddy's girl.

Third... well, if I don't stop prefacing now I'll never actually get on with the survey... so away we go!

Total volume on music files on my computer:

17.47gig = 4250 songs

The last CD I bought was:
"Hot Fuss" by the Killers.
I generally don't use CDs anymore, but every now and then (read: once in a blue moon) I'll find an artist/band so good that I really want to support them and their music so I'll buy the CD as a symbolic gesture.

Song playing right now:
"It's Still Rock N' Roll To Me" by Billy Joel

Five songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me:
1.
"Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell - a song I listen to if ever I'm having trouble sleeping.

2. "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure - a song that always makes me smile thanks to certain memories associated with it.

3. "Windy" by the Association - the song my Dad would always sing to me, substituting "Emmy" for "Windy"

4. (tie) "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel or "Blinded" by Third Eye Blind. I love both artists/band so I figure I really ought to have something of theirs on this list.

5. "Holla Back Girl" by Gwen Stefani - yes, I know this doesn't fit, and quite frankly, I don't like about 90% of the song. But any song that randomly spells names of fruit in the middle of it has to be on some sort of top 5 or top 10 list.

Five people to whom I am passing the baton (i.e. do the survey):
1. Sammy - You didn't know Solsbury Hill, a crime which ought to be punishable by death, so I'm wondering what music you do know.

2. Elle - You have fantastic taste in everything.

3. Fitz - Because you never cease to amuse me.

4. Jane - Like Elle, impeccable taste in everything.

5. Jeff - Mwah!

Thanks Derek... this was fun!

Search This Blog

Footer

lifetime and ytd start = 3/1/08

<$BlogArchiveName$>
emilyfish@gmail.com