My body hates me today. It's awesome. Not really, but part of me is hoping that if I say it's awesome, something might change. I went for a run as usual, and was hoping for something half as nice as yesterday's long and easy run. Of course, that was not going to happen because my body hates me. 1/3 of mile into the run (pathetic, I know) I'm cramping up all over. Awesome. I finished out a mile, grabbed some water, and somehow made it through another mile, but after two miles I thought I was about to die. Fun, huh?
Okay, so I know you all don't really want to read me recount every minute of my workout du jour, so I'll get to my point. As I was at the gym the other day, I heard one of the instructors tell a class of overweight women on the treadmills, "If it hurts, don't do it." It struck me as odd because I was at the end of my run and various parts of my body were definitely feeling the burn. I thought to myself, "Funny, this is pretty much the last thing these women need to hear. A little bit of hurt might actually help these women." Of course, I was right (else I probably wouldn't be blogging this little moment of history) and within 30 seconds of the comment, several of the women were complaining of various aches and pains that seemed to prevent them from walking on a treadmill for longer than 2 minutes. It was all I could do to keep from going up to these women and ask them why they are wasting their time at the gym? They obviously aren't working out. I mean, I suppose it is technically better than sitting on the couch, but really, not by much. What's wrong with breaking a sweat, feeling the burn, hurting a little? When and why did we become a society where it is apparently more desirable to be overweight than to feel the slightest inkling of pain?