self-referential

i read a lot of blogs -- some for news, others for musings and inspirations, some just because they're so darn funny. so very alone, despite the title, is one that falls in the last category.

brief history: unemployed guy went to go for a job interview the other day. got a call back from hr asking for the references he noted under "references supplied upon request". not 100% about his "references", he goes into the following:

Last night I went to bed planning to get up this morning and beg my sister, Richard, Bertha, a coworker from a place I used to work at, a former manager from two jobs ago, and a neighbor I once collected mail for during his vacation to be my work and personal references.

I did not like this idea at all. I don’t know some of these people well at all, some of them may not remember me, some of them may or may not even like me, and the rest I already have concerns about being too beholden to.

But I woke up about 4:00 am with the easiest, most elegant solution possible: I’ll be my own references. Thanks to the magic of Skype, fifteen minutes later I had six new phone numbers, in four different area codes.

Half an hour after that, I had several new email addresses, each from a different domain name (one from Google, one from Yahoo, one from Hotmail, two from Mail.com, two from different domains I own).

I’m trusting that nobody uses snailmail anymore; if the HR guy asks for addresses I just won’t reply and will chalk it up to experience. It’s not like this job’s a dream come true or anything.

I have a feeling that my references are going to have excellent things to say about me.

Gotta love modern technology.

Search This Blog

Footer

lifetime and ytd start = 3/1/08

<$BlogArchiveName$>
emilyfish@gmail.com